With Valentine’s Day around the corner, many singles are looking for love. As a result of our busy schedules and lack of time to go out and to meet people, many are turning to dating websites and social media. However, it is important to beware of the risks of online dating and avoiding scams.
What are some signs of a scam?
- The person makes excuses for not sending pictures of him/herself
- He/she regularly cancels right before you’re supposed to meet up
- He/she asks for money, cash or cheques
- Although you’ve never met, the person claims to have fallen in love with you over a short period of time (ie two weeks)
- The person may even send you small gifts to earn your trust
- He/she asks you to perform suggestive acts on webcam or send provocative photos (this can later be used to blackmail you and ask for money)
These scams are more common than one may suspect and being informed of the signs can help you protect yourself. Falling victim to such a scam is not a matter of intelligence as these con artists do this for a living. These con artists know how to play with your emotions and make you believe that they were genuinely in love with you. You aren’t alone. Be aware of potential scams and do your part to protect yourself. If you have been scammed please report it to the police so they can assist you with tracking down the individual.
I hope you all have a safe and wonderful Valentine’s Day! If you don’t already have a Valentine, let me take this opportunity to ask you to be my Valentine! Let me know if you accept in the comments below 🙂
Check out this link for more information: http://globalnews.ca/news/1825440/how-to-avoid-online-romance-scams-this-valentines-day/